Thursday, July 17, 2008

Studio Museum of Harlem, Dior, Love and Anthony David


Last night I had the opportunity to attend the opening of Kehinde Wiley's The World Stage: Africa, Lagos ~ Dakar, his first solo exhibition at The Studio Museum in Harlem which features ten new paintings from his multinational “The World Stage” series. It's amazing. I'm a huge fan of both Wiley and The Studio Museum of Harlem; the openings for new exhibitions are always something I look forward to. The openings usually draw an eclectic mix of folks - smart, hip, fashionable and trendsetters in their own regard and last night was no exception. The coupling of all this artistic energy and a few cocktails had me in bliss.

I have to talk about my purchase of the month for a second. I found a vintage Christian Dior track jacket this weekend. It's in great condition and a bought it for a steal. It doesn't get much better than that.

Moving on, I must admit that things are going really well with the homie-lover-friend. He's really an amazing man. I have never met anyone else like him. I've always said that my barometer for determining whether a relationship is worth it is "does he make me want to be a better man?" In this case - hell emphatically yes! We've been spending a lot of really good quality time together and merging our business interest as well. It seems to just flow. It may sound really strange, but he's taught me (still a work in progress because I have my moments) how to really love from an unconditional vantage point that's void of insecurity and ego. This means that I'm not seeking anything back in return. In this, his having a boyfriend has less of an affect on how I am able to be in this relationship because I love without the condition that he has to break up with his boyfriend. I know some folk may not be able to feel that, but that's where I am right now. I am also not going to block myself from anything else that may come along at this point. We will have to see how it all falls into place, though the homie-lover-friend has been doing a lot of talk about us settling in Atlanta.

I have officially decided that will not be returning to law school in the fall. I need to really figure out how this works into my life and things that I would like to do. I should probably be in film school or something that really feeds my creative energy. Whatever the case may be, I am in anticipation for greatness.

Lastly, I have had the Anthony David song "Words" on repeat for the last week. Check it out the lyrics really ring true.

3 comments:

. said...

1st let me say this - i am finding and inspiration in you. thanks.

now...
i've always wanted to go the opening of something, maybe one day when & if i can get on your level, i will.

i think (know) i want to see of picture of said jacket. i am intrigued.

so my only question about homie-lover-friend & you is what about the boyfriend. but other than that man what you have sounds beautiful. bask in it. love it. and allow yourself to continue being yourself. i am happy for you.

and you will achieve it (greatness)

i've been grooving to anthony david since about '05. i love that man's tone.

Muze said...

anthony david is the ishnit. completely.

and 'words' is like, awesome.

love your blog. just happened upon it by way of... i think it might have been one soulful negro. not sure. lol.

anyhoo, that exhibit sounds amazing. wish we had more stuff like that here in detroit.

vintage christian dior? 'nuff said. wow.

but he's taught me (still a work in progress because I have my moments) how to really love from an unconditional vantage point that's void of insecurity and ego.

the beauty of this is immeasurable, isn't it?

funny thing is, i'm actually in the same exact situation currently. or at least i think so.

great blog. hope all is well. i'll be stopping back through. *smiles*

Corey Keith said...

Interesting how life takes down some words that have surprising twists and turns, but we bear them out and see where we end up, only to learn that we are exactly where we are meant to be.