Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Changing My Password

As far back as I can remember, whenever I'm dating someone, or am in a relationship, I tend to use that person's names as password - be it to log into my email, login at work or as some sort of test question if just in case I forgot a password. I know it sound a little crazy, probably even a little unsafe, but I guess the psychology behind it is that serves as a reminder of that person and your association with them as something special. Whatever the case, this morning I logged in at work, and I was informed that my password expires in 2 days. I had an option to change it now or wait. I laughed to myself because my login is the home-lover-friend's name, and as of this morning our relationship has expired. I always knew I would know when it was time. That I would have to be prepared however the situation went down. I'll spare too many of the detail, but it wasn't the best experience… It was needed though. What I found out was that his was this unsated desire to be at a higher place of enlightenment- knowing and understanding the language, the correct responses and even helping other to explore and examine themselves, all while avoiding the situation himself. How easy it was for him to point out things that I should work on, when he wasn't really willing to do any work of his own. I was made to even believe that I had created this whole relationship… he said that I didn't even have the qualities that he would want from someone in a relationship. He said he couldn't understand why I would even think that he would leave his boyfriend of four years for me. It stung. Yet, we would lie together in his bed; hard flesh pressed against soft, when he needed a listening ear I was there, when he needed financial help I was there - so I was a bit thrown. So you're a user? I was even blamed for "disrespecting" his relationship with his boyfriend - though his licking and tasting, telling me he loved me and inviting me to mother's day dinner were not forms of disrespect? I had misinterpreted it all.

I thought that I would be sad… that I wouldn't be able to get out of bed this morning… that I would cry… but I'm actually ok. I that's not the kind of "love" I want. Despite his methods, he taught me so much and I can only appreciate that. We had begun to work on some things professionally together, so I'm trying to figure out how to resolve these things without there being a lot of complication. I understand my place in all of this. I understand my error. I take it. But when it's so fucked up… it's just that… so fucked up.

So this morning… instead of waiting two days… I change my password.

4 comments:

. said...

man while i am so, so sorry to hear about this
i am sorta glad you are 'changing your password'.

i mean it's strange i know you only through what i read here, only through your interpretation of your story , through the meticulously or free-flowing placed words in your blog. yet i feel some type of protective nature for you. i feel as though i need to step in and be an ear and an open vessel for you so that you wont have to experience bullshit like you did this morning.

i am sorta glad that you're changing your password, because in all actuality i know you probably loved him, you probably were happy, you probably just 'were' with him, but i don't think you were. did that make sense to you? i hope it did. if not i can always elaborate later.

i wish you luck man as you move forward and move on past this moment. past this phase. past this stage man. i wish you peace,and it seems as though you have it, with this situation.

keep going man. keep going.

Corey Keith said...

Great post! Great metaphor for changing plans, changing mans, and changing passwords. Great writing...

life said...

Oh he is so full of sh*t! You need to celebrate his expiration date.

E. Terrell said...

Soulful Negro... as always man thanks for support man... it means a lot... though I only know you through this space man... your words vibrant with me on a whole other level... so really do appreciate it... I've taken the past week to really think... clear my head and make some adjustments... I can see my growth... I can feel the peace washing over me... I hear clearly... the right voice... ah... it's great

Corey... thanks for dropping in man... we still have to have our convo on Junot Diaz... through your realationship with Parker... I know there is hope...

Life... yea that's true... but there's a lot of other stuff going on there man... I really wish the best for him...