Monday, May 12, 2008

Me and the Mystery Man

Now, I am not one to be shy or be easily intimidated, but for some reason the "mystery man" had me vexed. I ran into him at the opening of an art exhibition about two months ago. We exchanged glances across the room - he mouthed, "Good to see you here tonight" - I replies with a smile - "good to see you too." Never mind the fact that I didn't know who this man was. He looked familiar, but I couldn't place him. My hope was that, if we had met, that my impression had been a good one. While I feigned to be a true art connoisseur, he walked passed grabbing my hand to signal his departure. I was sorry that he had left without a formal introduction. So this past weekend, to my surprise, who did I run into, but the mystery man? He smiled and acknowledged my arrival to the party. I smiled; ran to the bar and hurriedly order a Ketel One and tonic. When I turned to head back in his direction, I noticed a good friend of mine was making small talk with him. I needed some quick info, so I sent my friend a text message. He ended the conversation and came to my aid. He informed me of who the mystery man was. I was impressed (I found out today that he is even more impressive than I had first thought). My buddy let me know he wanted to make my acquaintance at which point I winced; overcome with this nagging feeling of nervous energy that I had not felt since picking teams in grade school. I told my friend I needed to say hello to some folks first and I would talk to you-know-who once I was done. I forced myself in to extended conversations about the music, the housewarming I had just left and the inability to find a decent one bedroom apartment in Harlem for under $1500 - anything to occupy my time. Finally, having resolved some of my angst, I set out to meet Mr. Man, at which I was informed that he had hopped into a taxi only a few minutes earlier. I was half crestfallen; half relieved. Was I intimidated by the mystery man? Did I feel like he was out of my league? What does dating in your league mean? Is it better to date down? Help a brother out. I hear the mystery man will be attending a certain cultural event next week. Maybe I'll drop in?

2 comments:

life said...

Stop blocking yourself!!!

@GaryTylone said...

You're only allowed one or two more instances before the fantastic story that this is will be come null and void...$1500 Harlem Apt will be of no worry if you go on...hmmmm..but maybe not.