Friday, May 30, 2008

Wreck in the City


Though I am heading for a lunchtime viewing of Sex and the City today (courtesy of my company), a friend of mine surprised me with the purchase of a ticket for the 12:30 AM showing. Although I consider myself to be a fan on the series - these folks were obviously die hard who - having awaited the arrival of this moment since the show's conclusion in 2004. The thing that I enjoyed so much about the series was that the connection - full of candid talks, salty banner, love, men, shopping and of course sex - felt, well, real. What the movie provides is a failed attempt at re-creating the same magic - an end product that is overstuffed with superficiality and materialism, almost raunchy sex scenes and humor more appropriate for films in the "American Pie" genre. The movie was way too long, un-unnervingly predictable and the plethora of subplots made it feel like this was five episodes forced together in an attempt at weaving something cohesive. There was no spirit of freshness - the fact that the characters hadn't changed bothers me, as I expected broader, deeper more nuanced characters - yet I was left with simple contrite characters that could only be lovable to the most devoted. Should we expect more at 40? There was once a time in my life in which a fitted, baggy jeans and timbs were both sexy and acceptable for me or the guy that I was dating at the moment. Yet, as we get older and more mature what was once acceptable; just ain't any longer. The fact that he may still look good in that get-up at 36 doesn't mean that he should wear it. There has to be progression, right? In that same vain this was my expectation for Sex and the City, and I unfortunately, was let down - as a once brilliant TV show, was reduced to nothing more than 2 1/2 of branding for Apple, Louis Vuitton and Vitaminwater.

2 comments:

@GaryTylone said...

lol...I hate you.

life said...

I haven't seen the movie. I only starting watching the show once it hit TBS. I figured the characters wouldn't develop much. It's a catch 20/20. Interesting...part of progression for you meant getting rid of baggy jeans and the rest of the get up.