Thursday, November 1, 2007

Grown Man Shit

It's has become ever apparent that the social definition of Grown and Sexy, and my working definition are not the same. With this being the case I decided to create a list of my own Grown Man Shit:

1. I always tip appropriately; you never know when you may want to come back.

2. I ain’t saying you got to get a manicure every week – but dirty nails are not where it’s at. Good grooming is a must.

3. I find out the bartender's name and hook him up early, it makes getting a drink a hell of a lot easier and beats having to yell, "What up wit my Hennessy, yo."

4. I'm not dropping a bill or more every weekend for the club. That hundred or so dollars could go into my Ameritrade account, Roth IRA or my interest yielding saving account. A big part of being grown and sexy is the assurance that comes in knowing you'll be more than ok on a rainy day.

5. I don't wear sunglasses on the inside. Are you Lindsey Lohan or somebody? The paparazzi are not after yo ass. Take off the sunglasses, it looks stupid and defeats the purpose - “sun”glasses.


6. I give back with both my money and my time. Next year, instead of just walking in the AIDS Walk, raise some money or volunteer at an AIDS Service Organization. I give money to my alma mater, my church and I volunteer. Stop complaining and do your part to make it better.

7. In my business there is a tax ID, five years of forecasting and revenues. Let's be real, all of us can't be in the music industry, fashion industry or be stylist. By the way, mannequin shopping at H&M does not make you a stylist, nor do un-trademarked names on business cards or on websites.

8. Rockin timbs, a fitted and a hoody validates nothing. Being grown and sexy means embracing what feels right to you – not what you think will appeal to the masses.

9. I still like to sag my shit a little bit, but if I lift my shirt all the way, you shouldn't be able to see any skin between my drawers and my belt loop. My dude, come on now.

10. If I bump against you in the club or vice versa, one of us should apologize and the other should accept it. Either that, or just swing. Who has time for the back and forth cattiness.

11. "Balllin'" isn't defined by being able to pay a little extra for conveniences like table service. E. Stanley “just got a $200M severance package” O’Neal is a baller – not you and me sir.

12. Moet popping at the club – no sir. I have never seen the need to pay triple the liquor store cost to do something that was once hot in a Jay-Z video. Give me a bottle of Bollinger's La Grande Annee – and by the way, I’m drinking that shit off the small of your back.

Ok... one last one... smart... well informed... articulate – always, always makes for grown and sexy.

No comments: